Friday, December 5, 2008

Our first big Remodeling Job, our Basement Bathroom





The cabinets will go between this shower wall and the bathroom wall.
It was Beth's idea to tie in the color of the floor and the shower by adding a few tiles of the same color as the floor into the shower walls. It turned out Fantastic!




I really wish we would have taken some "Before" pictures of this bathroom. It was dark, dingy and I wouldn't have ever showered in the shower that was in here when we bought the house last year. There was track lighting, old linoleum and the walls were a pastel purple. We had to totally re sheet rock the walls after we fixed a small water leak and we gutted the whole bathroom. Initially we were going to install a simple corner shower stall but after measuring and consulting with my wonderful father-in-law we decided to just build and tile a new shower.
Now my job is great but one of the downsides to my job is I spend lots of time away from home. This left us in somewhat of a pickle, I can do a lot when I'm home but I usually run out of time and I didn't want to rush through anything. So my father-in-law, Dennis Fried, stepped up to bat and basically did everything I didn't or couldn't get done. He moved waterlines for the shower, completely built the shower to the specs Beth wanted, ran the wires for the lights, and fan we installed. He did all this on his own time mostly working late in the evening after putting in a full day at his business. The job he did far surpasses what I imagined it would be and I can't thank him enough for helping us out.
After the bathroom was all reconstructed, my wonderfully, smart, frugal wife picked out the tile for the bathroom floor, shower and grout colors for both. I had such a hard time trying to visualize everything so she took care of all of this and it turned out GREAT!!! Both Beth and Dennis have done a great job on this bathroom and it's turning out great.
We still have to install the sink, we're going with a pedestal style sink to save a little room. We have cabinets that we're struggling with for the space between the shower and the one wall, but I know whatever we go with will look great so long as I leave the choice up to Beth. The last big thing we're adding is glass blocks. We want to install glass blocks on a small portion of two walls to fill in where a window is and then on top of the one shower wall to help keep water in the shower.
It's really coming together and I am so proud of the job that has been done to date. Once we finish this bathroom, we're moving upstairs and will tackle the main bathroom. I'll make sure to get before and after pictures the next time.
Thanks again Dennis and Beth you guys did a great job on this bathroom.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I love it! I really like Beth's idea of tying the floor and shower together with the tiles on the shower walls. It looks really good. It's so great that you have your wife and such a great father-in-law to keep things going while you're away.

BTW, I thought about you when I was typing my "cold weather" post... :) I thought "Trey is going to think I'm such a Texas sissy" :)

Take care!!